>> Is distance learning right for me? <<
Distance learning has been proven to be highly beneficial to a large variety of people.
As with any kind of educational programme, the increasingly popular distance learning delivery comes with advantages and disadvantages. We recommend you carefully consider these in order to be sure your personal needs, strengths, career goals and maybe corporate objectives are met.
Benefits of distance learning include:
• Flexibility - You can undertake the course from just about anywhere, providing you have the right communications means – a computer and internet connection. This allows you to work when and where it is most convenient without having to squeeze scheduled classes in to an already busy life.
• Lowered costs - Prices for online courses are generally significantly cheaper than their classroom-based tutor-led equivalents and avoid the usual substantial additional costs, such as commuting, accommodation, meals etc. that are incurred when learning away from home.
• Learn while working - As distance learning can usually be completed to your own schedule, you can keep working full time whilst studying. Keeping your job gives you more income, experience and stability while completing your course; giving you less to worry about and more time to focus on your studies.
• Professional classmates - Mix and network via online forums with like-minded individuals on a global basis.
• Learning style – people learn in different ways. Distance learning has many benefits for students as you take control of your preferred means of studying our material, and the module tutors will help ensure you stay motivated and stay on track with your study schedule.
• Social interaction – Some distance learning providers can leave you feeling isolated during your study. On the MBA you have your programme leader, module leaders, module tutors, programme coordinator and fellow students available via interactive course forums, email and phone so that support is available and you can benefit from all important social learning.
Studying the MBA in Shipping & Logistics by distance learning
The MBA in Shipping & Logistics programme consists of a collection of distance education activities and resources. Included is a carefully designed blend of reading and work to be done independently, activities that will be done for feedback, formal assessments, and collaborative learning with other members of the programme, which will generally include some online communication and discussion.
All the necessary materials and guides for study will be provided. The basis for the structure of learning will be the form in which the materials appear on the University’s Virtual Learning Environment, My Learning, which will be the main medium study.
You will have access to an online tutor for each module. They will be available at specific times for direct real-time support and at other non-scheduled times via email and phone if necessary. This tutor will facilitate discussions, answer queries about the content, and give advice on assessments.
You will also have access to a member of the University’s e-Learning team who will be able to help you with any technical difficulties should these arise.
Assessed work will be completed in the manner prescribed in your module materials.
There will not be any examinations requiring attendance at a venue. We will, however, have certain online time-controlled tests in some modules. You will be required to take these within a specific time period, though as they will be online you will be able to complete them at a location of your choice.
Full details of how this maritime MBA is delivered will be in the programme handbook which is released prior to the start of the programme.
Lloyd's Maritime Academy Distance Learning Courses and Qualifications is part of the Knowledge & Networking Division of Informa PLC
This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC’s registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.